Update! We’re expanding our board!
We’re conducting a search for up to three new board members to join our mission at Highwire Improv!
- Learn more about why we’re expanding the board now, and what we’re focused on: Board Expansion Plans
- Applications are currently closed while we interview candidates.
If you thought Highwire Improv was a sentient online entity creating all of this magical goodness…you should take an improv class!
In reality, Highwire Improv is a non-profit organization with a Board of Directors, Committees, and Community Members (we don’t currently have any paid staff). Each group contributes to the organization in a really important way. If you’re interested in seeing us work, having a voice, or getting involved, watch this page for our open community meetings, or reach out to ask about helping out with one of these fine committees.
Board of Directors – the board of directors is legally responsible for the organization, and serves key governance, financial, and regulatory functions required to keep Highwire Improv in good standing. The Board of Directors is also accountable for the activities of the committees and provides strategic guidance and planning for the organization. The board currently consists of four members:
- Barry Wright, III (president)
- Brian Shea (vice-president)
- Geoff Taylor (secretary)
- Kristen McKenzie (treasurer)
All Community Meetings
Highwire Improv opens up its organizational progress and roadmap to the community on a regular basis. Our next meeting is on Saturday October 21st, from 5:30pm-7:00pm in-person and online. For those joining in-person, we will once again be at the Co-Balt Workspace; 1014 W. 36th Street, Baltimore, MD 21211 – join us and then come along to the show at the Lou Costello Room later that evening!
Zoom credentials are:
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 847 7302 0234
These are the operating horsepower of the organization – see what each committee does!
Artistic Council and Programming – we put together the beautiful puzzle that is a season of creative, interesting, and important improv shows for the audiences of Highwire Improv. If you have an interest in helping shape the stage here, this may be the place for you.
Education – improvisational theater is a never-ending pursuit and there is always more to learn. Help us teach the art and joy of improv to beginners and experts alike and help artist find their voice through mentorship in direction, performance, and logistics.
Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression – ensuring that we make Baltimore improv a radically inclusive space and contribute to the ongoing societal work of anti-racism and anti-oppression (with all its intersections) is core to the mission of Highwire Improv. Think you can help? We’d love to have you!
Organizational Operations – do you take the term ‘back office’ seriously? This committee might be the fit for you! We work on policies, budgets, procedures, and everything needed to make the organization run smoothly and effectively.
Marketing – do you like getting the word out? Making brand strategies? Have an eye for our logo (it’s great, right)? Join us in making the Highwire name spread far and wide so all of our wonderful artists, teachers, and coaches can grow and flourish!
Fundraising and Development – as a non-profit organization, donations and grants are a huge part of what allows us to function and grow – if you’d like to help us tell our story to people who want to support us, join this committee!
Space and Facilities – online and in-person improv both require technology and equipment, and in-person improv needs a space to play, whether for practices, meetings, or shows. This committee is responsible for sourcing and managing the physical spaces we step in to, and for making sure those spaces meet our standards of accessibility.
Interested in working with us? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or fill out our interest form:
Meeting Minutes and Videos!
Just want to catch up on what we’ve been up to – you can read meeting minutes and check out video recordings of our all-committee meetings:
- All-Community Meeting – 8/22/2023
- All-Community Meeting – 7/15/2023
- All-Community Meeting – 5/30/2023 (post only)
- All-Community Meeting – 4/15/2023
- All-Community Meeting – 3/14/2023 (post only)
- All-Community Meeting – 1/21/2023 (post only)
- All-Community Meeting – 12/13/2022 (post only)
- All-Community Meeting – 11/8/2022
- All-Community Meeting – 10/11/2022
- All-Community Meeting – 9/13/2022
- All-Community Meeting – 8/9/2022
- All-Community Meeting – 7/12/2022
- All-Community Meeting – 5/10/2022
- All-Community Meeting – 4/12/2022
- Highwire Improv Board of Directors Meeting Minutes – 4/11/2022
- All-Community Meeting – 3/8/2022
- All-Community Meeting – 2/8/2022
- All-Community Meeting – 1/11/2022
- All-Community Meeting – 12/14/2021
- All-Community Meeting – 11/9/2021
- All-Community Meeting – 10/12/2021
- All-Community Meeting – 9/14/2021
- All-Community Meeting – 8/10/2021
- All-Community Meeting – 7/19/2021
- All-Community Meeting – 6/8/2021
- All-Community Meeting – 5/11/2021
- Highwire Improv Board of Directors Meeting Minutes – 4/22/2021
- All-Community Meeting – 4/13/2021
- All-Community Meeting – 3/9/2021
- All-Community Meeting – 2/9/2021
- All-Community Meeting – 1/12/2021
- All-Community Meeting – 12/15/2020
- All-Community Meeting – 11/17/2020
- All-Committee Meeting – 10/27/2020
- All-Committee Meeting – 10/18/2020
- All-Committee Meeting – 10/13/2020
- Highwire Improv Launch Meeting – 09/29/2020